Thursday, December 2, 2010

Why India?

Perhaps the best way to approach this question is by first explaining the experiences I've gone through growing up as a young boy in Tijuana.  I feel that it is important to take this approach because these experiences have played a major part in shaping my life and has granted me with a view that is uniquely my own.  Growing up in T.J. can be rough, but thankfully I had a loving family that took care of me and made sure I was always safe.  Though my parents protected me physically, it was hard to see kids my own age and even younger out at the border asking for money just so they can eat.  I kept crossing the border with frequency as I was growing up and things were becoming more apparent.  I noticed that some of the children were being used to collect money by grown ups.  Sometimes it was their parents, but sometimes it was someone else.  When I began to cross the border driving by myself, it was hard to drive by those children while they're clinging to your window.  I gave one child money, but then two more would come and then three and four.  "Lo siento, pero no tengo suficiente para todos".  Sorry but I don't have enough for all of you.  Sad, the children would walk away from the car.  I kept moving along the border feeling bad and wondering why things had to be this way.  What type of potential lies within these children?  They've been able to survive with practically nothing.  Regardless of all their hardships, the children find moments to be kids and be playful with each other.  Perhaps for a glimmering moment even happy.  How strong are these children, what if they had a place where they can realize their potential.  What can these children accomplish? 
                Throughout my college experience I met plenty of people from all over the world.  I've come across people from Bulgaria, South Korea, China, India, etc.  I've been able to establish connections with all of these people because I've been able to find some common ground with them.  I was able to relate my experiences with many of theirs in their native country of origin.  It was neat to find out we had a lot of things in common.  It allowed for good relationships.  So the question is why India?  My answer is why not?  Why not Mexico?  Why not Brazil?  Why not Taiwan?  Why not Romania?  The list is practically endless, but what can I do?  I'm only one man.  I may try my best, but maybe that's not enough.  The world has many troubles, and I will try to contribute with my all to ease these troubles.  Things can be better, but it requires a world wide effort.  India is becoming an important player in the world diplomatic stage.  Establishing good personal relationships with them is crucial to beginning a world wide movement that can create a positive impact through unity, respect, and understanding.  Advising and leading the youth to approach relationships in this way is an interesting approach that may turn out to be an important stepping stone.  That is why I'm excited to be in CLP.  This program allows me to pursue this daunting yet mind blowing endeavor.  I'm so thankful and ready to do this.  Common people, let's get excited!  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment